Friday 11 January 2013

Leavetakings and GFCF Ozark Apple Pudding

At six o'clock this morning, I used up some apples that were past their prime for eating fresh in a modified version of the 'Ozark Apple Pudding' from the 'Farm Journal's Great Home Cooking in America' Cookbook. Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free recipe to follow.

Triple S woke up at 4 this morning to don his suit and head to the airport. His flight was at 6. Off for his first job interview.  I got up to see him off. Actually, I wanted to check him out in his new suit. I'd hire him. Hopefully this hospital is a good fit. He should call sometime this evening.

I went back to bed after I watched his car pull away. But, Bea woke up at 5:30. Usually we let her crawl around the bed, the bedroom, she crawls back into bed for some milk. It's miserable. We don't sleep well, but we don't want to get out of bed. Today I just bite the bullet.

And was thus baking before breakfast time.

Bea and I went to the library's 'Baby Bookworms' at 10. It was fun to sing songs and see the other kids. The moms are all nice and want the kids to play together. Most of the times when I go to the Y the moms are just into their own things. Puzzles me.

I completed the second step in the purge of the house today. I got rid of my record collection!  :(  Oh, sorry, I mean :).  I got $5. For 16 albums of the 60s and 70s, like John Denver, Seals and Crofts, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and some classical music. Even if I had bought all the records at $1 (most of them I did), I had more money in them that five bucks! Anyway, I need to simply. Simplify. Next to go is the half-broken record player.

And, no, with that list I am not dating myself! I was just born (again?) in the wrong decade. Maybe I died early in my previous life and liked all the music. Or maybe it's just because we grew up listening to Jim Croce and John Denver...

So, here's my recipe. If I make this again, I would probably leave out the sugar and use an extra piece of fruit that went through the food processor. I had been planning to mix in some spice, but forgot (It was 6 am!) so I sprinkled cinnamon-sugar on top.

GFCF Ozark Apple Pudding

1 c sugar
3 small eggs
1.5 tsp vanilla
1/3 c almond meal
1 T baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
3 c chopped apples
1 processed apple
1/2 c chopped black walnuts
1/2 c processed walnuts

Beat sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in almond meal, baking powder, salt, apples and nuts. Spread into greased 9 x 9 pan.  Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mix on top.
Bake at 350 F for 30 min.


Should I admit that the whole thing will be finished in about an hour? Whoops, I just did!  I wouldn't feel a shred of guilt eating it all if it didn't have the sugar in it. It was yummy. Reminded me of bread pudding, which I haven't eaten in about 15 years :(

No comments:

Post a Comment