Saturday 5 January 2013

I am back home

I got discharged from the hospital yesterday (yipee) and reunited with my baby.

Bea wasn't allowed to visit cause of germs at the hospital. Which was a good precaution, because the entire division staff was passing around a 24-h stomach flu. I was the paranoid lady with wet wipes. But not sick!!

Hopitla was traumatic experience all the way around. Maybe will tell you all about it later, but probably just let that water flow under the bridge becuase I have much more iportant things to do and think about.

I dont think I told ya'll that we had four days of steriods (dexamethasone) to help mature B's lungs pre-induction (and moved inducation back one day). Turns out, moms can react to the steroids ONE WEEK later, seemingly out of the blue. This appears to be what happened to me - I had an emotional and mental reaction to hte combination of the steroids before birth and the lack of sleep. The hospital fixed me all up and npw I have one medication to take for a few months.

My friend did a search of pubmed (god, i love having scientist friends, and being a scientist myself) and found some literature on this phenom. So, if someone needs to take steroids, email me at that time and I will forward the paper(s) (dont have them yet).

The hospital was unable to get me a breast pump for a few days (wrong ward - lots of confusion; no one's fault), so breastfeeding is a bit mixed up right now. Plus, I want to wait at leat 4 hours after taking my sleeping pill to feed. My mom is doing two-three feedings with formula. Right now they are both dozing on the couch. I apprecaite the quiet time beacuse I really needed to write here in my space and know that my dbms are out there in the interents. I am feeling much more relaxed now.

So, what advice on reestablishing BFing? We had only just got the hang of it and my milk was established. Now it is low, but not gone. B is a bit hard on my nipples, let's say that is nipple ocnfusion. I am nursing constatnly now, hopefully that will get milk flowing again.

My old school paretns are driving me crazy. My mom did not BF, but my MIL did - she is my go-to-BF person. But my dad wants to quantitate my breast milk by pumping and then measuring!!! ARGH! He needs a project to get him out of my hair.

ok more later, i have som much i need to get out and express and process. but now, i here some little tiger grunting and must MUST go take a shower.

xo
a

No comments:

Post a Comment